Heartburn Prevention Tips
For some heartburn sufferers, it's spicy food that does them in. Others feel the burn from a late-night slice of chocolate cake — two heartburn triggers in one, actually!
Knowing how to prevent heartburn can help you take control. Here are some everyday changes you can make to help prevent heartburn.
Here are the Do's and Don'ts you should know:
- Eat slowly and enjoy smaller meals throughout the day
- Avoid foods and beverages that tend to trigger heartburn, such as meals that are fatty, fried and highly acidic
- Enjoy low-acidic foods such as oatmeal, bread, rice, bananas and melons, green vegetables and lean proteins
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches or sleep with a pillow wedge
- Wear loose-fitting clothing around your stomach
- Reduce the amount of pain relievers you take, including aspirin
- Lie down or bend over soon after eating
- Eat 2-3 hours before bedtime
- Eat big meals
- Exercise right after eating
Stress Management Tips
Did you know that stress can trigger heartburn? The brain and digestive system are closely connected, so an anxious or stressful situation can trigger a stress response in your brain that impacts your digestion.
Here are few ways you can reduce stress, which can help prevent heartburn:
- Get a good night's sleep — 7 to 8 hours a night
- Do exercises that minimize pressure to the abdomen, such as yoga or Pilates
- Take a mental break and visualize a place that makes you feel relaxed; see, feel and hear the things you are imagining
- Go outside for some fresh air and a change of scenery
- Learn ways to relax your body, like breathing exercises, muscle relaxation exercises, massage and aromatherapy
"Knowing how to prevent heartburn can help you take control."
Manage Heartburn with Medication
Another way to prevent heartburn is by taking over-the-counter heartburn medications that reduce the acid produced in your stomach. Histamine blockers, like new Zantac 360°™, can be taken before you eat or drink to prevent the onset of symptoms.
As with any medication, talk to your healthcare professional about your symptoms and see how new Zantac 360° can help you prevent heartburn fast — and relieve it when you just can't plan ahead.